Sunday 18 February 2018

Why Microsoft should scrap Bing and call it Microsoft Search

I contacted Microsoft and asked him a simple question: "Am I going crazy?"

I felt the company spokesperson say, "you must be the last to know" before adding: "Did your Bing Translator page suddenly receive a big Microsoft logo?"

You see, very occasionally, I'm swinging to Bing to see what's going on there. And last week, when I clicked on his Bing Translator link, I was confronted with a big "Microsoft Translator" at the top.

I was sure I had not seen that before. Hence my question to Redmond.

"You will not go crazy," the company spokeswoman told me. "There were actually some recent changes in the brand names to clarify that [Bing Translator] was powered by the same technology used in other Translator applications, the API and the live function."

It was soothing to my soul, although another explanation from the spokesperson gave me an idea.

"It's the same Microsoft Translator technology as before," she said, "available via the Bing search engine."

What, because my soul has mischievous parts, told me that someone at Microsoft might start to wonder if the Microsoft brand is not much stronger than Bing.

Does anyone really have a deep and lasting respect for the Bing brand? In one way or another, it seems that the brand name has never been used, in the context of a joke.

This does not mean that the service itself must be ridiculed. However, he suggests that the brand name is not an incitement to passion or excess of respect.

The Microsoft brand, on the other hand, has become much stronger thanks to the administration of Satya Nadella. He earned respect. Especially when the company showed the Surface Studio in 2016 and the offer of Apple certainly made it pale.

While Microsoft was a joke in an Apple ad, it is now the symbol of a booming business that tries new things and even succeeds sometimes.

The funny thing about Bing is that it's not a failed product - at least not as unsuccessful as some might imagine.

Last year, Redmond said his research share in the world was 9%, with a 25% share in the UK, 18% in France and 17% in Canada.

And look at the United States. Microsoft says it has a 33% share here.

Would not it be reasonable to think that it would be a positive step to go all the way with the Microsoft branding and let Bing go down to the nursing home for weird names?

Would not you rather try Microsoft Search than Bing Search?

I asked the question to the spokesperson. Does this little name change with Translator, the forerunner of great things to come?

"We do not currently intend to rename Bing research," she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.